ASK Bristol is a place where Bristol City Council has public conversations about important issues facing the council and city.
It’s a space where we can float early ideas or discuss proposals with our citizens and stakeholders. We know people want to get more involved, but often lack the time to do this, so ASK Bristol provides a place for open public debate available 24/7.
Councillors are being encouraged to join the debates here on ASK Bristol and public conversations held here will include a response from the council at the conclusion of the discussion.
How we moderate the site
This site is pre-moderated. This means a council officer reads your comment before it is posted on the website. This can mean delays in posting during bank holidays and weekends.
We will moderate the site using these principles.
- Contributions must be civil and tasteful
- No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble
- No personal attacks or offensive comments
- No unlawful or objectionable content: unlawful, harassing, defamatory, accusative or abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable.
- No spamming or off-topic material: Please don’t re-submit the same contribution many times, or contribute off-topic material in subject-specific areas.
- No advertising or promotion of irrelevant websites or services
- Contributions must be in English – we do not have the resources to moderate user submissions in other languages
- Facts and statistics quoted should be supported by the source
- We may choose not to publish from people submitting an excessive number of contributions in order to facilitate a more balanced debate
- Off-topic party politicking will not be published
- No impersonation
Due to time and cost constraints, we do not have the resources to enter into correspondence with people whose contributions have been rejected. If this has happened to you, please read the House Rules and re-submit your comment.
This site is a wordpress.com site provided by a company called Automattic and is covered by their terms and conditions. Contributions and visitors to the site are covered by these terms and conditions.
Site data is securely held by wordpress.com and accessible by the Consultation & Research Team of Bristol City Council.
Website log files and IP addresses
All websites produce log files that record the activity on that site. Log files record which pages on the site have been accessed and how many times. From this information it is possible to produce statistics such as how busy the website is, which pages are the most popular and whether there are any broken links.
Log files typically record the IP address (a numerical label assigned to each device (e.g., computer, printer) participating in a computer network that uses the Internet Protocol for communication) and/or hostname of all users accessing the website. This allows us to distinguish between different users and therefore estimate the number of unique visitors to the website.
Specific IP addresses and hostnames will not be published or released from any Bristol City Council website since the council considers it to be potentially personally identifiable information as; we cannot differentiate between fixed and dynamic IP addresses and we may, on specified websites e.g. ASK Bristol wordpress site, hold personally identifiable information associated with your IP address.
On the ASK Bristol wordpress website, IP addresses are stored securely on the website using industry best practice methods for safeguarding information and server functions by the providers of the website Automattic (http://automattic.com/privacy/ )
After 2 years, Bristol City Council will delete comments, including IP address and any personally identifiable information you have given from the site.